Saturday, November 12, 2022

Be careful what you wish for!

 Remember as a kid you wanted braces or a broken bone so you could have a cast?  Anyone?  No?  Just me? I never had braces. I was hurt a few times, gymnastics and sports and things.  I never had a cast though, until now.  At some point I had broken a bone in my foot.  I am sure it hurt, but as a wife and a mom I didn't have time to stop or pay attention.  I had a surgery scheduled.  Then my sister died.  I struggled with postponing it.  Since she was cremated and the funeral wasn't in the next few days, I decided to go ahead and have it.  There wasn't ever going to be a good time to do it.  I had it done.  It went well.  I have a pin in the toe that had the broken bone and was twisting. It looks rather gnarly on the x-ray.  I'm ready for all of it to be over though.  

My first cast!  This was after the splint and bandages from surgery came off. 

I asked her to draw a face on the ball like a Jack in the Box antenna ball.  She said NO. 
The toe with the pin is lower because the bone had to be in alignment.  It will be in the proper place when the pin is pulled out.  AND that is just how they do it.  Grab and pull.  YIKES. 

This is a cast cover for the shower.  Isn't it just super cool?  Please detect the small note of sarcasm there. 

And here it is making sure no water gets into the cast.  It's slippery though so kind of a two-edged sword. 

This is how it looks now.  

The first week was a bit rough.  I do not do well with drugs.  I either am puking or sleeping.  I did a lot of sleeping.  The second week I worried, a LOT.  We were working on my sister's memorial.  Money is a constant worry.  The holidays are coming.  I kept thinking I should just be working and not have done this.  I had trouble getting out of my own head.   Once my sister's memorial was settled, I felt a bit better. I had a better handle on my emotions and thoughts.   I have 2 different helpers for work.  I really did need to go back.  
I am allowed to put my heel down and bear weight on it.  It makes me walk very odd because I can't roll my foot or use my ankle. Think of a pirate and a peg leg.  My hips and lower back are not loving me right now. Most of the time I use crutches or a knee scooter.  It should be coming off soon.  I hope.  I cannot wait to get back out hiking to sooth my soul and calm my mind.  And hopefully no pain at the end of the hike.  
On we go.  One gimpy limp at a time. 

Peace


No comments:

Post a Comment