Sunday, October 6, 2019

Hoi An

When we left Cambodia it left a huge hole in my heart.  I'd love to go back and see more. The people were lovely and we only saw 1 little dot of the country.  It was so beautiful.  But if you don't move you'll miss what is next.  Next is Hoi An Vietnam.
We were going to Hoi An for the Full moon lantern festival.  It was a BUSY town!
We stayed at the La Terrazza Guesthouse.  It was on the out skirts of town.  So tranquil and beautiful.  We got there in the dark.  We walked around the outside of the house. Heir and Dacey were left at one door and we were taken around and up stairs to another door.  I got a bit anxious and our phones didn't work and I had NO clue where we were and how to get to Heir if something went sideways.  NO CLUE why I got upset, that really isn't like me.  But there were no phones, no tv so just very rural and in the end LOVELY!  In the morning in the light of day I was fine!  It was just a moment. Heir knew and told me if we didn't like it we could move.  NO WAY.  It was fantastic.  Our host was super nice. He was from Italy and his wife was from Vietnam.  We asked him if he spoke Vietnamize, he said no not really and even if he did no one could understand him because of the accent.  LOL  They had 2 daughters.  One was named a Vietnamize name and the other an Italian name.  So cute. They had 2 little dogs that reminded us of home and the smallest mama cat with babies almost her size.  They were just sweet.  We were served the best breakfasts on a beautiful deck over looking rice fields.  Dacey did so much work in planning for us.  We would have never had the same experience if we had booked it.   I can only hope she enjoyed it all as much as we did.  I know Heir did because he had the same grin on his face that we did.  There was not a moment of this trip that we didn't love.
While in Hoi An we had some shoes made.  I would go back to Vietnam to do that again!  Clothes and shoes... It was so fun.  Dacey did our bargaining.  We were willing to walk if it wasn't a good deal.  We all thought it was fair for all.  We also had things being made in Saigon that would be ready when we got back.
We spent a lot of time at the beach in Hoi An.  The South China Sea was so warm!  DH who doesn't love the water went out with me and let the waves wash over him.  It was so beautiful.  We saw people fishing in round boats that look like giant cereal bowls.  I have NO clue how they made them go any where!  Then there was people fishing with nets.  A school of something came through and people went running to catch them.  It was so interesting to watch.  We laid on our beach chairs and waitresses would come buy and ask if we wanted anything.  Dh said it was the best hamburger he'd ever had!  Between that and the 50 cent beer he was a happy camper.  It was so relaxing and fun.  We did that 2 different days.  OH!  It may not be so, but I thought the South China Sea was way more salty then the Ocean here.
 One day Dacey and I went to Vy's Market and Cooking School.  While we did this, Dh and Heir took bikes and road all around Hoi An.  
Dacey and I got to take a tour of the local markets and then a tour of the restaurant and then went to our class.  SO MUCH fun!  I wish I could tell you I've made the recipes again once we got home, I have not but I still have tool that we got to keep and I have the recipes.
DH was VERY worried about eating on this trip.  He doesn't like to eat out as it is.  BUT he was a great sport about it.  He mostly only ordered fish.  I'm pretty sure he never had the same fish twice.  He loved every one of them!  The only thing he wouldn't try was Pho.  Heir and I LOVE it, Dh wouldn't even try it.  He's not a huge soup fan anyway but....
The lantern festival was so beautiful!  It was good weather.  You buy your lantern's and light them and make a wish, a blessing or whatever you'd like and send it down the river.  It was GORGEOUS.  I can't think of the litter in the water though.  Hopefully most get caught up in a curve and get picked up.   Before I saw how it worked I thought it was the kind of lantern you light and let go into the sky.  I loved it on the river.
We saw several couples getting married.  It must be a popular day to get married.  Maybe good luck?  We also went to a night market.  Those are different then the ones in the day time.  Different venders and such.  I'm not sure why it changes out but it was sure fun to walk through.
We were sad to have to leave.  But again, if you don't move on there is something else you won't get to experience.  Back to Saigon.



































These pictures didn't load in the right order.  I'm  not going to wrestle them around.  LOL Also so much for not loading a lot of pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment