Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Merry Christmas to us

For Christmas last year our older kids got us a weekend away in one of my favorite places.                 Friday Harbor.   I simply just love it there.  It feels like you are far away from reality.  To me anyways.  We left early Friday morning so we could beat some of the weekend traffic on the ferry.  It was so beautiful out. The wind always blows on the island so that wasn't a surprise.  


When you take the direct ferry, one that doesn't stop at the little islands, it's faster, but still a bit of a trip on the ferry.  It's a beautiful ride.  We of course, walked it end to end.  We did sit and people watch for a while, but it's nicer standing outside and taking it all in.  No whales spotted.  



Someday I will stay at this hotel.  It is stunning there. There was a farmer's market/craft fair going on.  There was a beautiful necklace there.  I've regretted not buying it since.  It was expensive for me.  BUT worth it, it was handmade by the artist.  Totally worth what she wanted.  I just couldn't justify it for me. 


San Juan county park.  We almost always see whales here.  The ranger said they hadn't been by in several weeks. 




We couldn't check into your motel until later in the day.  We wondered all over the island.  English camp to the British camp.  There was a pig war.  A lot of history there.  I love the lighthouse there.  We've seen whales there many times.  NONE this day.  Infact, spoiler alert, NO whales whatsoever.  I was so disappointed, BUT we had a blast nonetheless.  Salty sea air and the sound of waves.  What isn't to like. 
Day 2

I finally made one work!


Back at the county park to wait for the whales to show up. 


Dh took my camera. 

HORRIBLE picture, BUT...  it was just at dusk, so lighting was awful.  It is a fox eating a roadkill dear.  We stopped and watched for a long time.  In part because another car was watching too, and we really didn't want to interrupt his dinner.  He was beautiful.

You can't tell but he has a big chuck in his mouth. 

Ahhh the hot tub. 
Not shown was our massages and time in the spa.  It was so relaxing. 

Day 3, headed home. 

We went to the coffee shop to get coffee and tea and a donut while we waited for our ferry.  This guy was sharing our table.  I don't remember his name, but he was funny.  He wanted to have a bite of our donuts.  He had his own.  I guess it is their Sunday tradition.   


I think this would be fun to travel, or just ride in/on.  I've never been on a sailboat. 

As we are leaving.  

Headed home.  

People are lonelier than they have ever been.  We are also more connected than ever.  But we tend to talk less.  Just texts and emoji's.  No emotional connection.  
It meant the world to us to just escape, the 2 of us. To shut most of the world out.  It was just what we needed. 
Peace









No comments:

Post a Comment