Saturday, November 25, 2023

Sometimes being sweet matters

 

I hope Thanksgiving gave everyone a moment to ponder what they are grateful for.  I know I have much to be thankful for.  My family of course.  We all have a place to call home.  We all have enough food to eat.  Those who want them, have cars that get them to work and home.  We have power in our homes to heat it, have hot water, and ect ect ect.  I am thankful we are all healthy.  Much to be grateful for. 

My daughter in Law hosted dinner this year.  We all helped and brought part of dinner.  One of my requirements was to bring the pies.  Always.  So I brought 5.  2 Pumpkin, apple and raspberry.  Also a Butterscotch.  That one is kind of a silly one, a family joke that has hung on for years and years.  Now it's a tradition.  Dinner was consumed.  VERY yummy of course.  It came time for the pie.  I was cutting pieces and handed one to Monkey.  He ate it.  Looked at me oddly.  We shrugged and went on.  Bugs who is my BIGGEST pie fan had his piece.  He looked at me and said "this tastes odd.  Almost like nothing.  I can taste the pumpkin but it's just blah..." I was hmmmmm, retracing my steps in my mind.   Then I had an AHA moment.  I didn't add any sugar to the pumpkin.  NONE.  Eggs and spices and milk.  No sugar.  SEE! Sweetness matters.  LOL I just threw it all away.  There wasn't enough whipped cream to make it palatable.   No one was going to eat it.  So we had the other kinds and called it a good day! 

When Monkey and I went through the storage unit this summer and got rid of so much stuff, one of the things I couldn't' part with was my china and crystal. I was talking with DIL and I told her how much I missed using china for special gatherings.  She said bring it for Christmas.   I cried it made me so happy.  I put them away where they were easily reached.  I brought them home Tuesday and washed them all and then took them to DIL/Drummers house.  She set a beautiful table for our dinner.  She is so very sweet and is sensitive to me.  I love her for all that she does for me/us.  I loved using them again.  I know that "good" dishes is sort of on the way out.  I LOVE mine.  I love using them. The day felt very special.  I'm getting used to things being different.  Things cannot always stay the same.  Some of us were there and some not.  There is always something or someone to miss.  I am grateful for everyone that could be there.  A good day was had! 

I hope you had a good day!

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment