Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Loud

 My family is very opinionated.  The boys are very passionate about different things.  When we have family dinners it can get quite loud.  Sometimes I just go outside and let them do their thing. I've tried to tell them it's not a " The loudest one wins" thing.  They all have different political direction. We have always told them to think for themselves.  And they have, sometimes much to my dismay.  We are loud because we are a large group.  It isn't always in debate or frustration. 

I heard something the other day that has really stuck with me.  "A debate is not a conversation".  That is a huge statement to me.  It falls in line with The loudest one does not win.  There is no winning in a debate/argument.  Trust me I know we all want to be "right".  Whatever that looks like. Instead of getting louder and louder, where everyone stops listening and just starts thinking of their next thought, not listening to what is being said to them. I think we should start asking each other, What would it take to change your mind?  We all have those things that we won't change our minds no matter what.  Those hills are the ones you choose to die on.  However, I do think that we all have things that we should listen to the other side/person and maybe, just maybe they have a point that we should consider.  No one is right all the time.  Are they?  Not in my world anyways. I just don't know whose mind you are changing when you are yelling at them.

How about we just lead with kindness when we are talking to each other.


Peace


No comments:

Post a Comment