I worked for a lovely lady who had a family tree quilt that I truly admired. It was a wonderful idea. I thought I can do this but tweak it a little so it is more my style. Now just so you know I have never embroidered in all my life. So I was talking to my Auntie and telling her what I was thinking. I had a layout in my mind. I told Auntie we need two more babies in our family to make this work right. Be careful what you wish for!(joke!) We got those 2 and 2 more! The first time I started the quilt I used really cheap muslin. It didn't work well at all! So back to the drawing board with MUCH better muslin. Best is better! I got the list of names gathered with the help of my aunt. The last name on the list was Baby Edgerton. He is now 7. HA!
So I got out my embroidery hoop and set to work! It took me a long time to get going. There is blood, sweat and tears in those squares. Seriously! It was a lot harder (I KNOW I KNOW!) then what I thought. I would work furiously on it then get frustrated and not work for a long time. Like 6 years long time. Last year I decided to get serious and get the thing done. I knew my mom would LOVE it and I wanted her to have it. I also had a lady who I scrap book with that is an avid quilter and said she would help. So I plugged away and got all the squares done. Joan and I made a date to go get fabric to get it under way.
Here is the fabric and the squares that go to Auntie. The picture was to show her the names most important to her.
There are 45 pieces in all.
The top all together.
The top with the border.
My bed is a King for reference.
You can still see the pencil marks. It hadn't been washed yet. There was still blood in places!
I had really grand illusions that I was going to actually quilt this thing. THEN I had a reality check. So it is just tied. Some day I would like to actually quilt something. I think I will start much smaller then a quilt of this size.